If you are reading this article, then the chances are you are already thinking about getting a tattoo, or know somebody who is. However, you need to consider that a large percentage of people who get tattoos do come to regret it.
- You need to carefully consider your reasons for getting a tattoo:-
- is it to please a partner (who may not be lifelong)?
- is it as a sign of belonging to a group or “gang”?
- do you identify with a particular sub-culture, eg. gothic?
- do you want to show your individuality or uniqueness?
There are many reasons why people get tattoos, however, due to the permanent nature of tattoos, you need to consider not only what you want now – but what you will want in 5, 10 or even 20 years time.
Do you want to have a love tattoo with Bob on it, when he is long since gone, and your new partner is Jim? Or you might be a wild rebel at the moment, but what if later you straighten out and train for a job in a conservative area, will you be wearing long sleeve shirts in the middle of summer to cover up your wrist band tattoo. Or will it inhibit you from getting that dream job in the first place.
When you are a mother/father or even later a grandmother/grandfather, will the tattoos you got in your youth now be a source of embarrassment to you?
All of these things need to be considered, as having a tattoo removed is NOT easy and it certainly isn’t cheap. You can expect to pay at least $1,000 to have a small sized tattoo removed with laser surgery, and your health insurance will not cover you for tattoo removal. Before you make your final decision, think about the laser surgeries that will make a fortune from people failing to think ahead. And don’t even consider non-laser removal, as your tattoo will only be replaced by an ugly scar.
- maybe a tattoo isn’t for you after all.
- maybe you should forget about that cheap tattoo your friend was going to give you in his garage
- maybe you should change the location of your tattoo from your hand to your back
- or maybe you should have the wrist band tattoo on your left hand so that it could be covered up by your watch if necessary
Whatever, you decide, please think long and carefully about it and then make an informed and hopefully wise decision:-
- Tattoos can be beautiful
- Tattoos can be exhilarating
- Tattoos can open up a whole new world for you
….but make sure you do it right!